- Variables and Data: How to create variables and how you use them. Strings!
- Doing Math: Using variables to store and use numbers.
- Logic: True and false.
- Conditional: If and but… no, or else… oh no I’m confused now.
- Looping: While do for while do for while do for… argumentum ad nauseam.
- Functions: Creating functions, using them, passing data in and out.
- Objects: Properties, methods. Inspecting objects.
- Arrays: Getting elements out, putting them back in. How long is a piece of string?
- The DOM: The DOM as a tree of elements. Parents and children. Mummies and daddies. How babies are made… wait, wrong site.
- Events and Callbacks: Event-driven programming. Listening for events, and acting on them with callback functions.
- jQuery: What’s a DOM library for and why would you choose jQuery?
- jQuery: DOM API:
$(). That is all.
- jQuery: AJAX:
- jQuery: Other Tricks: DOMContentLoaded, Load, and Type Checking.
A set of articles covering advanced JS techniques.
- Object-Oriented Code: Classes and instances. Behaviour encapsulation. Using constructors and the
newkeyword for creating instances of objects.
- Creating Elements: Inserting elements into the DOM and the associated pitfalls.
- Canvas: Painting and animating on the newfangled HTML 5
- Local Storage: Saving things across refreshes. Browser support and limitations.
- Errors and Exceptions: Throwing all our toys out of the pram.
- Regular Expressions: /(some|no)thing/i of interest. Matching and replacing.
- Closures: What is a closure? Why are they incredibly powerful?
- Backbone: A short introduction to BackboneJS. Building a (very) simple app and showing how Backbone does MVC.
- Angular: As above, but with Angular.